…our objective is to secure progress towards ensuring that the UK is firmly committed to having a programme of new nuclear power plants to deliver affordable, reliable and low-carbon electricity to homes and businesses.
SONE members believe that:
- Nuclear energy is a safe, reliable, economic and environmentally acceptable way of providing electricity.
- Nuclear energy is, on present knowledge, essential to the world’s continued development if serious climatic changes are to be avoided.
These beliefs are underpinned by three convictions:
- Nuclear energy must not only be safe but also seen to be safe and permitted to manage its waste properly.
- Nuclear energy must be able to compete on equal terms with other sources of energy while maintaining the highest levels of safety.
- Nuclear energy must be subject of an open and honest dialogue with the public.
We invite you to join us in promoting such a debate because the national interest requires a substantial nuclear contribution to an environmentally acceptable mix of energy supplies. Without secure energy supplies when they are needed, we cannot maintain our people in work, our prosperity or lifestyle or generate the resources needed to protect our environment.